February brings opportunity for more practice with your dog!
- Thursday, February 21, 6:30pm. Mind Your (Veterinary) Manners, Atlantic Animal Hospital. Free – limited to 6 dogs, one hour. Your veterinarian is your dog’s friend – why not teach your dog to be friendly and comfortable when visiting his doctor’s office? Spend an hour with me, and we’ll work on positive reinforcement techniques and proper manners while in the office. Please contact Atlantic Animal Hospital directly for participation, 757-302-0345.
- NW1/Nose Work Travel Class - Practice nose work skills with us up and down the Shore at locations and times posted weekly; you join us for the ones that work for you. Great if you are practicing in preparation for an ORT or NW1 trial, or just want to hang out and have fun with your dog. Cost $15/session. Pre-requisite: Introduction to Odor. Please contact Beth Ann for more information.
- Basic Obedience and Nose Work Classes for our spring session at the Barrier Islands Center are scheduled. They all start Saturday, April 6, run for 6 weeks and cost $120 per dog. Note: There will be no class held on Saturday, May 11 (Mother’s Day weekend) so we can all enjoy the Dogs on the Farm event, benefitting the Eastern Shore SPCA. Pre-registration is required; please email Beth Ann to reserve your “spot.” :)
- 11a – Basic Obedience (no pre-requisite)
- 12:30p – Intro to K9 Nose Work® – only 2 spots left! (no pre-requisite)
- 2p – Intro to Odor (pre-requisite: Intro to K9 Nose Work®, strong on box work)
More information at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastern-Shore-Dog/187679051266077?sk=events
May brings several events:
- Saturday, May 11 (rain date May 18): Dogs on the Farm 11a – 3p, Barrier Islands Center. This is an all-inclusive event for your family and your dog. $30/dog, and associated people are free. We’ll have participant gift bags for all dogs, a mini-greetings workshop, obedience point-to-point, nose work demo, vendors, Island Creamery ice cream and wraps (served up by Machipongo Trading Company), a kissing booth for photography of you and your dog – and more. This event will benefit the Eastern Shore SPCA, and is hosted by the BIC, Eastern Shore SPCA and Eastern Shore Dog. Watch this space for more info!
- Saturday, May 25: Art and Music on the Farm, Barrier Islands Center. Although not strictly a dog event, this is a dog friendly facility, so well-behaved dogs are welcome. Let your dog spend time with you as you shop the art, enjoy the music, and socialize with friends.
And later this year:
June-July-August: Watch for updates on Greetings Workshop, Recall Workshop, and Impulse Control Workshop, Barrier Islands Center. Dates/times TBD, watch for more details.
Saturday, October 5: Plan to attend the Eastern Shore SPCA Best Friends Walk Together dog walk in Onancock. This is a wonderful event and a great chance to mingle with other dog lovers on a beautiful day in Onancock. Benefits our SPCA, the only local non-kill shelter.